So, Jordon told me that the last time he read my blog, it was depressing. He said I need to write about more positive things. This one's for you, Jord.
I was asked the other day if I believe that good things come to those who wait. I said no. And then I thought about it for a good 3 or 4 days. I decided that I believe it. Kind of. I like the idea of it, but I know that's not how it works.
Regardless, I'm feeling like some good things have come my way. I am only 25 (almost 26, eeek!) so clearly I haven't been waiting long for all these good things to come to me. But, I like to think that these good things have come to me because I waited. It's funny -- just a few weeks ago I wrote about how pissed off I was for having to wait for things.
Family.
In the last, oh gosh, probably like 2 years, I have caused my parents more grief than I have my whole life I think. Ok, to be honest, I'm willing to bet that I've caused them more grief than Dylan EVER has. And he's 30! I often wonder if my parents would have been happier if they had only had 5 kids instead of 7. Or if maybe they had just skipped me or something. I also think about how much more money they would have if they had stopped after Sara. I have cost my parents A LOT of money. And time. And let's just go ahead & throw heartache in there as well.
Anyway, back to my point - I realize that my parents didn't just come to me. They've been around my whole life. However, not a day goes by that I'm not brought to tears because I'll just start thinking about how amazing both of my parents are and how much I love them. They are my best friends. I can talk to them about anything. When I'm bummed or upset about something, all I have to do is hear my mom's or my dad's voice and I'm comforted. I used to get so frustrated when I was growing up when I'd get mad that I couldn't have something that I wanted. My dad would always tell me that if he could he would give me everything I could ever want. I'm so glad that he didn't. I'm so glad that he taught me to work for what I want. Now that doesn't mean that sometimes I'm not a puke or that there aren't times that I don't love working or I have zero ambition. My point is I know what work is and I'm thankful for that.
I was able to spend the entire day with Dallas on Saturday. And I loved every second of it. It's not hard to see that I have amazing siblings when you look at who my parents are. Dallas was telling us about a conversation he recently had with someone. The person was asking him about fighting with his siblings. The person asked Dallas if it keeps him up at night to know that he's had fights or arguments with his siblings. He said no. He told us that they obviously didn't know what it was like to have six brothers and sisters or they wouldn't have even asked that question. Dallas is my closest friend. He is the one I call when I have a bad day or when I just need someone to talk to. He gives the best hugs. All my brothers do. I have had several people tell me that they envy the relationship Dallas & I have. I love my little brother. I would do anything for him. But I can think of several times where we had some pretty significant fights and/or arguments. So, on Saturday when he was telling us that it didn't keep him up at night, I reminded him of a fight he & I had when I was like 12. He was 9. It turned into a full on fist fight. At one point someone fell down 13 stairs. There was lots of crying and screaming. And the best part (or worst, you decide) is that the reason we were fighting is because he wore my Justin boots to church that day. Seriously? What 12 year old tries to kick the crap out of her 9 year old brother because he's wearing her boots?! I'm pretty sure it was me that fell down the stairs. And if it wasn't, it should have been. After reminding him of that fight, he couldn't remember it. I'm glad to know that particular fight doesn't keep him up at night. Or the one that was happening while I was driving him to scouts & totaled my mom's car & I about killed Dallas. Glad that doesn't keep him up at night either.
Anyway. I'm feeling pretty lucky these days. I have the greatest family. My three older brothers are incredible dads. I love seeing them with their kids. And with each other's kids. They are all so great to their wives. And they all work so hard to provide for their families.
My whole family is a bunch of smartypants. Literally. I used to get so irritated when people would ask about my brothers and sisters. I HATED telling them about my siblings. They are all SO smart. My older brothers all work in computers, which is extremely impressive to me because every time Ian tries to have a conversation with me about computers it's like jibberish to me. I can't even understand half the crap that he says to me. My sisters are a doctor & a lawyer, respectively. Dallas excels at just about everything he dabbles in.
I've learned to love coming from an intelligent family. Even though I'm not a computer genius or doctor or a lawyer. Even though I can't do backflips when I wakeboard or snowboard or anything else that Dallas does. But I love that I can have intelligent conversations with my family. I love that I enjoy learning and reading. I may be taking the long way home when it comes to education and a career; but, I'm so thankful for a family that values education. I was reminded this weekend of how extremely smart Dallas is. This will make me sound like a complete dipstick, but I was astounded by his vocabulary. I love being part of a family that enjoys each other's company. I have been around a lot of people who aren't that lucky & it breaks my heart. My family members are by far my favorite people.
Jordon.
Have you ever been in a situation or been presented with something and thought, 'this seems too good to be true'? Well it turns out, I have been in that situation for roughly the last six months. I feel like my boyfriend is too good to be true. I never knew there were guys like him. Ok, that's a fib. I know there are guys like him because I have four brothers who I think the world of. But, I never knew there were guys like him for me. I didn't know you could be with someone who you actually have things in common with.
I think Jordon gets annoyed with me because every time he calls me I say thank you for calling me. He says calling your girlfriend is normal. I didn't know that. It's the best part of my day when I get to talk to him. Even though the phones in Iraq are ridiculous and we can usually go like 5 minutes before one of us can't hear the other one & then he has to call back. But I'm so glad they have phones there. I am so thankful for technology. As much as I hate the Army & hate that Jordon is in the Army, I love that I can talk to him on a regular basis.
Stewart.
It's ok for me to list Stewart immediately after Jordon because Stewart is a girl. And she's my dog. She's probably the best ever. She didn't come to me recently either, I've had her for about a year, but I love her! I was never a dog person. Shoot, I was never even a pet person. I'm still not totally. But at the time I was having a rough life & Stewart came along & it turns out I love dogs. Some days she's just what I need. When I can't see either of my parents or Dallas or talk to Jordon, Stewart is the next best thing. Bummer for her that she's number 5 in line, but that's pretty good for a dog.
Good things come to those who wait. See what I did there? I made you wait for the good stuff. I made you read through all my mushy-thankful-for-everyone-in-my-life bit before you got to the goods.
I recently started a new job. For like the 86th time Jordon says. But really it's not that many. There were a few, but not 86. I feel like I finally found a job that I love. Again. I had one a few years ago then the guy closed his business & my employment has just sucked since then. But I'm feeling good about it now. I work for a great company. I get paid pretty dang good. And I have awesome benefits. After getting old & getting kicked off Jon & Rita's insurance, I had to be on a cobra plan for like 6 months & pay $500 a month for stupid insurance. Well, I didn't have to pay $500 a month, but $500 a month was paid on my behalf. So it feels good that I can have my own insurance for a smidge compared to that $500 bull crap. People at work actually talk to me & like me. Is that weird? Don't answer that. It's weird to me because that's just new to me. Who knew you could work somewhere & actually enjoy the peeps you work with?
I had to add a little fluff about Stewart so you could realize how great she is. But the fact is, sometimes I want to dropkick her. Don't worry, I don't. I never have. Don't call the pet police on me cause I talked about dropkicking my 6 pounder. I am feeling pretty good about life with Stewart now because after having her for a year, she's finally freakin' potty trained. Yah, it's been a year. It's been a year of dog poop everywhere and a bedroom that smells like pee. Too much information? Sorry. At least if you've been around me in the last year & I smelled like pee, now you know why. Anyway, she's finally learned how to hold it til she gets outside & I love her cute little face for that! Now, I just have to get her to realize that the potty rules in SLC also apply at Jon & Rita's house in God's country, because sometimes she has accidents in Rita's closet. And Rita gets pisssssssed!
My family is all finally going to live in Utah. For once. Since Ian got home from his mission, which was like forever ago, someone has always lived out of state. First it was Andre living back east for way too long, then Ian lived in a craphole part of New Mexico, then Dylan lived in like Wyoming or somewhere, & then Nicole moved to Albuquerque. I realize that I'm going to jinx this whole situation & now because I've typed this, someone in our family is going to move out of state. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. The thing is, I'm stoked that Nicole accepted a job in Utah. I'm stoked that the Sisters Finlinson are alive & well. I cannot wait to hang out with my sisters & have family parties that everyone comes to!
So, to recap. (I'm having to recap a lot at the new job, so just allow it.) I love my family. They are the best. I love Jordon. And his family. If my family was out of commission or didn't want me anymore, I would definitely snag up Jordon's. Because they are so great. Dallas isn't losing sleep at night. Stewart is a little studpants. AND I love my new job.
Life is good.
3 comments:
You have a new job?? That is awesome. More details, please. We miss you! Hope you come on Sunday!
I loved this post, Aimee! I'm so envious of your big, amazing family. I'm glad to hear things are going well for you--you definitely deserve good things to come your way! Now if you can just get your man home! Good luck with everything. :)
I am glad that you would accept Jordons family as well!!! You do have an amazing family... and boyfriend... but I may be biased about that one haha!
Post a Comment